Activities & Events
RECORDING VOLUNTEER HOURS
Goodwin House is a 502(c)(3) non-profit ganization. This tax status helps keep costs down for its residents and carries with it the organization's responsibility to contribute to the community. The total staff and resident volunteer hours for work done with GH and in the wider community is submitted to the I.R.S. annually as a requirement to maintain the 501(c)(3) designation. Be sure to track your volunteer hours on the Volunteer Log Form.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY FOR FITNESS FANS
Are you dedicated to fitness and the benefits of regular exercise? Do you have the heart to give back to this wonderful community? Become a Certified Arthritis Foundation Aquatic Therapy Program Leader! The Arthritis Foundation’s Aquatic Program is a warm-water exercise program to reduce pain and improve overall health. Suitable for every fitness level, classes are friendly and supportive and encourage social interaction among participants. To volunteer or for more information, contact Sherry Compton, Fitness Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or ext. 7331.
If you are looking for ways to you can help out, the following Volunteer Positions are available:
Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing (APAH) is looking for two to three volunteers to help with a
weekly grocery distribution program in the Columbia Apartment location. Volunteers would be asked to
set up the distribution area, table groceries, host the distribution, and breakdown/clean up after the
distribution ends. The task requires standing, some lifting of chairs and groceries, and friendly customer
service. APAH volunteers are required to complete a background check and orientation before starting.
Please contact GHBC Volunteer Coordinator, Greta Christ, at Ext. 7671 for additional information.
Theresa Brion, GHBC Chaplain, needs volunteers to fill the candle bases with oil (usually twice a week), setting up/clearning up/ushering for chapel services, assiting with communion, wheelchair transportating, escorting residents to and from chapel services.
- Resident Companion (This person provides companionship to residents who could use an extra friend for a half an hour or a few hours).
- Bingo Caller (This person calls bingo twice a month on Wednesday evenings).
- Garden Volunteer (To help tend to the Knoll Garden).
- Culmore Clinic Volunteer: (This person assists other resident volunteers once a month with setting up a medical clinic located on Glen Carlyn Road).
- TV Programmer: (This person assists with addressing cable and programming issues for televisions throughout GHBC).
- Driver: (This person assists with transporting donated clothing to Goodwill 1-2 times a month).