SENIOR TV WOES CONTINUE
GHBC is experiencing issues with Senior TV channels 3, 47, 54, 64 and 65. Christopher Floyd, director of Facilities Management, has been communicating with engineers at Senior TV, and they have reached out to the local station engineers with WETA and PBS to help resolve this issue.
RESIDENTS TEST NEGATIVE
On Wednesday, August 5, GHBC finally received the results of the July 28 covid-19 testing of all independent-living residents, and the news was good. All residents' tests for the illness caused by the coronavirus came back negative.
JOIN ENCORE CHORALE FALL PROGRAM
Residents are invited to register for Encore Chorale's fall Encore University, with sessions on Zoom. You will need a computer with camera, a tablet, or a cell phone. When you are in a rehearsal, you will hear the conductor but you will not hear any other singers.
Fall choral rehearsals are daily or weekly. In addition, Encore will be offering 10 different classes per week including Musicianship, Vocal Technique, Song Writing Teams, Romanticism to Modernism, Divas!, Music and Movement, Musical Theater, and more. Each class is recorded, so you can view it at your convenience.
GHBC takes care of tuition payments. Contact Tony Tambasco for more information and to register before Thursday, August 13: email@example.com. To view the entire fall program, click HERE.
MORE TIME IN THE POOL!
Many residents have been asking for more time in the pool. Beginning Friday, August 7, residents will have the option to sign-up for one additional pool session.
- Currently we sign up Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m. through Fridays at 12 noon, for two (2) pool sessions per person for the following week. This will remain the same.
- We are adding additional sign-up time on Fridays, between 12 noon and 2 p.m., for the open spaces. These spaces will be available on a first come, first serve basis, and we ask that residents sign up for only one additional session.
Please contact Sherry Compton at firstname.lastname@example.org or ext. 7331, with any questions.
SEEKING AN AUDIENCE
Would you like to be part of the in-person audience when Town Hall and Community Meetings are filmed? Would you like to be a Zoom audience questioner? The Resident Council is creating a list of people who will ask questions to elicit information residents need and want to know. Contact Claudia Blake if you would like to be included (email@example.com or ext. 7485.)
FIRESIDE BEGINS REOPENING
Fireside a la carte carry-out service from a limited menu is now available three nights a week: Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Residents place their orders by phone to ext. 7254 or 7313 between 2:30 p.m. and 4 p.m. and then pick them up in the Bistro according to a staggered schedule. Menu will be updated periodically, and changes to the menu will be posted on Fridays for the following week. For details, click HERE, and HERE for the menu.
MORE ANTI-RACISM FROM SPIRITUAL LIFE
The Spiritual Life Committee recommends the video Blue Eyes, Brown Eyes as part of its ongoing activity to help develop anti-racist attitudes. The lessons learned will be part of the discussions in the coming weeks. The video will be shown on Channel 2 on Thursday, August 6, at 1 p.m.
As we continue our work on anti-racism together as a community, here are some thoughts to keep in mind:
- If you are surprised or confused by what you feel or learn, embrace these insights with an open heart. Ask yourself--what am I supposed to learn through this? Or what is my heart telling me?
- Don't feel guilty if you think you should be farther down this road learning about dismantling white supremacy culture. We are all learning and growing together.
- Most importantly remember this is soul work. And because it's soul work, it can be challenging, heart breaking but also inspiring and meaningful. We ask that you remain open to the process and know your community supports you.
Are you wondering how to find out what is going on at GHBC? Click on HERE to find information about the Resident Website, West Winds, other GHBC publications, and community meetings you will want to attend.
FREQUENTLY CALLED SUPPORT SERVICES AT GHBC, Click HERE