Goodwin House Baily's Crossroads
Life At GHBC
Home Activities and Events Council and Committees Dining Services Health and Wellness Spiritual Life Available Services
Coming Events
New Residents
In Memoriam
Resident Directory
Resident Showcase
Resident Handbook
Staff Directory
Staff Spotlight
Website Info


Health Services

IF You Are Asked to Quarantine, Click HERE

After Clinic Hours, Reach a Nurse by Dialing Zero 

Attention Residents:

Anyone experiencing a new onset of COVID symptoms after an initial diagnosis within the past thirty days should not perform a home antigen test. If you have symptoms and have recently recovered from covid, please contact the Clinic before testing.



^ Back To The Top

What should I do if I don’t feel well

Call the Clinic, ext. 7227, between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m., Monday through Friday and 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. on Saturday.  At all other times, call the Nursing Supervisor through the Reception Desk (dial 0).

Click HERE for a list of nearby Urgent Care Centers.

^ Back To The Top

What should I do if I become ill in my apartment?

There are three ways to call for assistance in your residential living apartment.
1. Pull the emergency call cord in the bathroom
2. Dial “0” on your telephone to reach the Reception Desk; or
3. Take your Goodwin House land line phone off the hook.

Qualified personnel will respond to any of these emergency calls.

Goodwin House has installed motion sensors, a wireless, battery-operated device placed near your bathroom entrance.  Designed to capture motion between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m., the system generates a report daily to selected staff at a certain time.  If the sensor has not detected any motion during these hours, the reception desk will call you to see if you are OK.  If they do not receive a response to their phone call, the clinic or nursing supervisor will be notified and will respond to your apartment to check on you in person.

The sensor does not have any cameras, video, or microphone in it.  It does not “hear” or “see” you; it will only capture motion. Residents may opt out of this program.  If you have concerns or questions, please contact Ann Lam at or at extension 7213. 

In addition, you may purchase, for a nominal one-time charge, a Personal Emergency Transmitter (PET) pendant. This will enable you to notify the Reception Desk if you need assistance anywhere in the building or on the grounds. (If you currently have a PET, you may swap it for a new one at no charge.)  PETs are available through the Clinic, ext. 7227. 


^ Back To The Top

What do I do if my physician is not available?

Telephone your physician’s answering service and leave a message for the designated back-up physician to contact you. If your physician visits Goodwin House Bailey’s Crossroads on a regular basis, the Clinic nurses can assist you in making contact.

^ Back To The Top

How do I obtain medicine?

Prescription drugs may be ordered by your physician or the GHBC nurse practitioner. Over-the-counter drugs can be obtained from the pharmacy of your choice or ordered from the CVS pharmacy at Goodwin House Alexandria at 703-820-1061. Monday through Friday the CVS at GH Alexandria makes deliveries to GHBC Reception Desk at 12:00 noon and 5:00 p.m. Basic over-the-counter medications and sundry items are sold at CVS at GH Alexandria and in The Marketplace on the first floor of The Crossroads.

How do I dispose of medicines I no longer need or want?

  • Suggestions for safe disposal of medication from the Health Committee are found HERE.
  • Information from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) can be found HERE

^ Back To The Top

How do I renew a prescription?

You may call the CVS pharmacy at Goodwin House Alexandria at 703-820-1061 or the pharmacy of your choice. You may also bring your prescription or refill container to the Clinic receptionist;  management will arrange the refill request. If your prescription is not renewable, you or your pharmacist must contact your physician. If you need assistance, contact the Clinic nurse.

^ Back To The Top

Can I get an x-ray, lab work or an electrocardiogram done at Goodwin House Bailey’s Crossroads?

Yes. These tests require an order from a physician or nurse practitioner; the Clinic staff will make arrangements.  

^ Back To The Top

What do I do when I go to the hospital for elective surgery?
We would also like to remind all residents that have planned a scheduled surgery to contact the Admission Coordinator at Ext. 7261. Please provide us with the procedure that you will be having, the date of the surgery, the name of the hospital, and the expected length of stay. This will help us prepare and plan for your possible stay with us at the Health Care Center.

^ Back To The Top

What happens if I require an emergency hospital admission?

The Clinic nurse or Nursing Supervisor will arrange for you to be transported to the nearest hospital emergency room that has space available to receive you. You may request transportation to the hospital of your choice, but there is no guarantee that this hospital will have space available. If you have completed a Confidant Form, your confidant will notified that you have been taken to the hospital. Further information about the Confidant Program and a pdf of the form is available HERE.

^ Back To The Top

How is my hospital discharge handled?

The Health Care Center Admissions Coordinator, ext. 7261, monitors the course of your hospital stay and will work with the hospital staff to determine your needs when you are discharged.

^ Back To The Top

What should I do when I return to my apartment?

Notify the Reception Desk, which in turn will notify the Clinic nurse/Resident Health Supervisor. This individual will review the discharge instructions, including follow-up diagnostic testing, meal delivery service, medications, and treatment.

^ Back To The Top

What do I do if I am unable to go to a dining venue for meals?

If authorized by the Clinic or Nursing Supervisor, meal trays can be delivered to apartments on a temporary basis. Call the Clinic nurse at ext. 7227 or the Nursing Supervisor through the Reception Desk (dial 0). There is a nominal fee charged for delivery of meals for non-medical reasons.

^ Back To The Top

What if my food tray doesn’t arrive?

Contact the Reception Desk (dial 0) and ask for the Nursing Supervisor.

^ Back To The Top

What if my health requires a stay at the Health Care Center?

Admission to the Health Care Center requires an order from a physician. It is a regulation that a physician must visit a new admission to the Health Care Center within 48 hours and at least every 30 to 60 days during the stay in the center.  

^ Back To The Top

How and when is it decided that the condition of my health makes it necessary that I be moved to the Health Care Center on a temporary or permanent basis?

This decision is made after very careful and thoughtful planning by the Interdisciplinary Health Care Team of Goodwin House Bailey’s Crossroads in consultation with you, your attending physician, and/or your family.

^ Back To The Top

How can I keep my medical records up-to-date?

In order to keep a resident's medical record complete and current, the record should include a report from every professional health care visit.  Most health care professionals will provide a report, which you can turn in to the Clinic; each report will be scanned into your electronic record.  

^ Back To The Top

How can I get to my medical appointments?

Transportation to medical appointments in one of the Goodwin House Bailey's Crossroads vehicles may be scheduled through the Transportation Coordinator, ext. 7435. Transportation requests are honored on a first-come, first-serve basis and a request must be made at least 24 hours advance. It is recommended that a request be submitted two to three weeks in advance. The fee schedule for transportation and a transportation request form are available in the Transportation Office and on this website:

If an escort is needed, contact Goodwin House Home Care, ext. 7230, at least 24 hours in advance to request a certified nursing assistant to accompany you. There is a fee for this service.

^ Back To The Top

How do I arrange for therapeutic devices, such as oxygen, in my apartment?

If your physician orders a therapy such as oxygen in your residential living apartment, contact the Clinic at ext. 7227.  

^ Back To The Top

and how are these therapeutic devices maintained?

The Clinic nurse can refer you, without a specific recommendation, to companies that provide this service. The resident is responsible for any costs associated with these therapies.  



 Updated June 24, 2023

Copyright© 1967-2023 Goodwin House Incorporated. All Rights Reserved.